Sunday, February 6, 2011

Inspiration and Influences; my first Animation blog post!

Just a taste of some of the cartoons that I'm unfluenced by currently. There are numerous others, but these 3 series are what I'm watching/enjoying currently. I also included a bit about my favourite animator/director.

Adventure Time

Concieved by the GENIUS Pendleton Ward, Adventure Time was originally made only as a 7 minute short for Nickelodeon.
Due to extreme popularity the concept was then picked up as a series for Cartoon Network and is now into it's 3rd season.

Generally top notch animation for a cartoon series, fantastic, obscure humor and interesting, likeable characters.

Invader ZiM

Invader Zim was created by comic artist Jhonen Vasquez (just a warning, his blog is a tad NSFW) who influences me immensely.
Unfortunately Invader Zim was cancelled only 3 seasons in, but has since gained a huge underground following.
Vasquez has also directed a couple music videos, as well as written and illustrated a number of comics, including Johnny The Homicidial Maniac, Squee! and Fillerbunny.


The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

I only started watching Flapjack recently, but was instantly hooked by how Thurop Van Orman (Powerpuff Girls, Camp Lazlo, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) has managed to make it SO ugly and SO cute at the same time.
Another animation incorporating that obscure humor I love so much, Flapjack is probably best comparable to early seasons of Spongebob Squarepants (another big influence of mine!).
Pendleton Ward (above, Adventure Time) has also contributed as a writer for some episodes.

It won an Emmy in 2009 for 'Oustanding Individual Achievement in Animation'.

Animator/Director, Mamoru Hosoda
(Apologies for posting an AMV. It was the best clip I could find from the movie)

Mamoru Hosoda is probably my favourite animator.
The two clips I've included are from One Piece Movie 6: The Island of Baron Omatsuri and his most recent Summer Wars.
Both amazing and beautifully animated movies, I recommend both of them (and don't be put off by the One Piece movie, it requires little to no previous knowledge of the series).
Hosoda is known for using reoccuring themes and styles of animation in his movies, all of which I really adore and am heavily influenced by.

3 comments:

  1. pfft hahaha! You just had to make the clip of Evangelion "Best scene of end of evangelion"

    I've heard a lot about it, so I've been tempted to watch it. I'll look for a different clip that won't spoil so much :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Summer Wars. Saw it last year on an animation field trip. Amazing artwork as well as animation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I'd really recommend seeing The Girl Who Lept Through Time!
    Same director, and a very beautiful, touching story.
    Mamoru Hosoda is definitely worth investing some research into.

    ReplyDelete